Saturday, March 16, 2013

Hearing

Most mornings I awake thinking
of you sleeping, breathing
rhythmically as a metronome,
the bass beneath a melody,
eyelids closed moons, eyebrows
two hovering clouds
above the day yet to unfold.

I imagine you embarking
into consciousness: they say the last
sense before death is hearing
but isn't it too the first before life, hearing
an alarm, or if you're lucky
in the spring finches whose yellow
or red breast feathers might grace
the pine needles just outside the window
or when I was lucky, your rhythm.
Maybe your brow lightly purses, or a sigh
escapes like air being let from a dream balloon
before you open fully to the light.
The music changes in your breath
at least, that's how I remember hearing it
though you don't play that tune
for me anymore.

Most mornings I awake with words
that might be poems on my lips
rather than kisses on your cheekbones

Maybe it's scent that's last to go
cinnamon, or vanilla, or you


...........


edit: original post 3.16.13.
posted to imaginary garden with real toads June 17 Open Links



7 comments:

  1. How heartfelt & poignant, specially those last two verses ~ The sentimentality is not overdone ~

    So you found my other blog, thank you for your visit ~ See you ~

    (Grace)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I agree with Grace, the last five lines are wonderful, but my favorite part is
    "eyelids closed moons, eyebrows
    two hovering clouds
    above the day yet to unfold."
    I love "closed moons".
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a pre-dawn sense of longing in this, as when we dream so deeply something so beautiful that we instantly forget it waking up...if that makes sense. Anyway, I loved this--the sense of loss, yet of memories that are caught forever, some ghost of love, all somehow intrinsic parts of the cycle of birth and death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mornings, when we wake to remembered loss... thanks, HW ~ M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pain and terrible loss expressed in this one.Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please, and thank you