All of me is not me. These hands are not me,
these eyes. This crinkling, whitening hair,
the teeth crowding closer together,
laughter slipping from between my lips
are not me
because if they were, I knew you,
but since I don't anymore, and they did
they can't be me.
That me, that memory me made up
of fingers and skin knew you.
Not this me.
I used to know your name.
Hafiz whispered it between stanzas
he picked out for me
to read to you.
I used to know how your back rippled.
Your bones and muscles and supple skin
reached for my hands, asking
if we wanted to know, and we did
both without hesitation.
My fingerprints say it's the same.
They claim that, by typing, I'm the same
person as the neurons firing in my brain
that remember the you-ness
who you once were
but I know better. That was once-you,
not now-you, that I now know.
Now-you is a recorded voice.
Now-you has lips
that don't reach my ears. Now you
know that all of me is not me
not anymore
than you are a photograph
or I am a memory.
dverse poets Open Link Night # 99
ReplyDeletehttp://dversepoets.com/2013/06/04/openlinknight-week-99/
oh heck...this is so sad...so tough when there was so much closeness and isn't anymore for whatever reason...tight and heart wrenching images..
ReplyDeleteThey say catharsis is good, yes? Thank you for visiting :)
Deleteoh I feel heartbreak in this...well told grapeling.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer.
DeleteWhat a sad and heartfelt story you tell. Loss and ageing .. painful to read.
ReplyDeleteHaving seen J Geils in 81 sing "Love Stinks"... aging and hearing loss, too. - smiles -
Deletefelt piece...ugh...having known and now not...being apart...and realizing how much of us was them and they us but now all that has changed...felt.
ReplyDeletethanks, Brian
DeleteTerrific write ~ I like the twist and turn from the knowing to not knowing, then the realization ~ A different voice, I like very much ~
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking up with D'verse M ~
thanks for connecting me with D'verse, Grace
DeleteOh what a sad, sad place--I am reminded of couples who have been together for long--but moved apart somehow--this is a terrific write---
ReplyDeleteThank you, Audrey, and for the add.
DeleteMakes me think of Alzheimer's patients...
ReplyDeleteI sometimes wonder if memory loss might be preferable. Thanks for visiting, MJ
DeletePainful to read..but much truth here and beautifully executed. ~jackie~
ReplyDeleteIncredible piece.
ReplyDeleteThis is stellar:
"Now-you is a recorded voice. Now-you has lips that don't reach my ears."