Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cabinet


I put all the hurt words
here and here: they have four letters.
Name them.
Keep them like keys in your pocket:
unlock the rusty tetanus cabinet
and scrape them across the floor of your heart
so deep they gouge the floor
well up in red tears
scar over like railroad tracks into your past.

Catch!

Keep ‘em.

I’ve pried open the window
so sunlight and the smiling moon can peek in
and don’t need them anymore.

It’s an old house; used, the doors
have been kicked open and banged shut
but the cabinets here are full
forgiveness and trust aren’t just words
they’re utensils: used daily, a bit scratched
love is carefully dried and returned
even when it gets bent.

I won’t rebuild the foundation – it’s got good bones
even if I’ve pained or painted it wrong sometimes
there’s no need for keys anymore;
there are no more secret cabinets
no more silent hurt
no love that can’t be shown to friends
no trust that can’t be mended
when it matters

1 comment:

  1. awesome. Scathing and real. Emotionally evocative. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Please, and thank you