Sunday, April 22, 2012

Draws

While she draws
blood, hold
his head still.

Clenched fist averted
eyes breathing
shallow as a puddle

the sinuous red line slurps
and he can't turn away
from the two vials

until like a magician pulling the tablecloth
she slips the needle out
replacing it with cotton

he can't hold
on anymore
before the trash can

the floor accepts his stomach
in little bits and a torrent.
Later he asks, why was it white

I only drank water?
It must have been the bagel I say.
Oh, like paste, he replies.

But I won't eat that
laughing a bit.
Wipe my chin, Dad.

Lang's nose and upper lip are raw
where the floor punched him
after fainting.

If I don't like this
that quivering lip and quaking voice
telling the doctor about tunnel vision

knowing he would soon pass out
trying to kneel
so he wouldn't be hurt falling

before he woke, cheek to tile
I like this:
after I put out two tupperware tubs

to catch any more barf
he looks up from his pillow
commenting, I just thought of a gameshow:

Pick Two Tubs of Puke
and gently chuckling to himself and me
he gives up

to sleep


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, and thank you